Monday, October 01, 2018

Help Me to Help you to help me to . . . wait, I'll come in again.

It is now October, and Nanowrimo is only one month away.  

As ever, I plan to enter Nano this year, and as ever, I will fail to finish. But since I failed to finish last year due to not being prepared enough, this year I want to prevent that. But before I can do any prep or worldbuilding or anything, I need to decide which genre I will fail at. Help me out! Take the poll below!

Please select one or more choices, up to four, and list them in the comments.  If you do choose more than one, please rank your choices from 1 (the genre or subgenre you would most like to see me fail to finish Nanowrimo with) to 4 (the one you would least like to see me fail to finish Nanowrimo with). Management retains the option to ignore all suggestions. Void where prohibited by law. Burma Shave.

The choices are:

Urban Fantasy

Romantic Urban Fantasy

Heroic Fantasy (typified by Conan)

High Fantasy (typified by Tolkien)

Space Opera

Horror

Mystery

Urban Fantasy Mystery

Romantic Urban Fantasy Mystery

Other (your choice)

3 comments:

RidgewayGirl said...

I vote for mystery. Everyone and their dog is writing some form of fantasy novel and also I'll be working on the mystery novel that I kick-started last NaNo and have be futzing with ever since.

Good luck in November, regardless of which genre you choose!

Anonymous said...

Seed Of Bismuth
Higher number = less desirable

5) NOT Urban anything, that's more dead then zombies

4) Space Opera except it's gone back to it's roots and is set in a fantastical Age of Exploration (a la Gulliver Travels) or One Piece really now that I think about it.

3) Heroic Fantasy ( but in the Elric stormbringer fashion not Conan)

2) High Fantasy yes like Tolkien BUT only if you promise prophecy never ever shows up in any shape or form, NEVER.

1) Horror Fantasy, make of that what you will

Pepperjackcandy said...

1. Mystery

2. Space Opera

3. High Fantasy

4. Heroic Fantasy

OTOH, maybe you could mix it up a bit. ISTR Stephen R. Donaldson saying (and maybe he was quoting someone?) that the magic happens when you combine something that you're familiar with and something that you're unfamiliar with. I guess it's safe to assume that these are all genres that you're familiar with so add something that you're unfamiliar with -- military fiction, western, humor, historical fiction, etc. Or choose something from your list but add something surprising. A high fantasy analogue based on the folklore of the European countries that speak Romance languages rather than Germanic ones or of South America rather than Europe. Or combine choices from your list, like a high fantasy mystery or space opera horror.